Monday, March 21, 2005

Traffic police never gonna improve.

When one gets late and sees a red signal, the fist thought that comes is “Mamu khada hain kya”. (is traffic police standing there). Most of the time he is not.

Today surprisingly on Andheri flyover, I saw a team of traffic police with speed gun, checking if the vehicles are exceeding the prescribed speed limit. What a time they choose, 9.30 to 10.30, when most of us are running late for our offices. I was driving well within the speed so I didn’t have any issues but I saw couple of cars being caught by them in front of me.

What the hell! During mornings, when driving on the opposite direction to traffic, the highways are almost empty. Most of the time in city there is horrible traffic; it’s only on the highway one gets to patch up for the lost time in traffic. Actually that’s the only place where the vehicle is driven other wise its dragged. But these guys are there to spoil the morning and morning drive. I don’t find a reason why one should be stopped if he is marginally more than the speed limit, unless some one is driving really rash. But how will they chase and catch the one driving rash. They wont be able to catch me if they happen to chase me, forget about catching the real rash bike riders or car drivers.

On the contrary, one can hardly locate a traffic police if there is a traffic jam. If for god’s sake they are present, they wont be doing anything to ease away the jam. The only moment they are active is when they have to catch someone jumping signals or when they have to stop the over loaded trucks. That helps them to pocket some additional money.

One of the most inefficient government departments is traffic police. Actually they are not inefficient, they don’t work unless they get something down the table. (Why “upar ki kamai” is called down the table?) Ever been to RTO office to get the driving license. Try to get a driving license on your own, without the help of driving school or using agents. If you do it, it’s really an achievement.

I read an article somewhere that the annual “down the table” income of traffic police all over India is more than Rs.1 billion. This is shared right from the hawaldar on roads to minister throwing chappals in parliament. That’s a huge amount flowing as black money.

In my 2 yrs of driving in Mumbai, I’ve paid 4 times for jumping signal, once for talking on mobile while driving and once for not wearing a seat belt. That’s pretty decent statistics for me. Now I exactly know which signals to jump. But one should be extremely careful during month and year-ends. Even they have to achieve their year-end targets ;-)

1 Comments:

Blogger strawy said...

yeppieeee me 1st again ...lolzzz in india traffic suckssss big time..lol

In my 2 yrs of driving in Mumbai, I’ve paid 4 times for jumping signal, once for talking on mobile while driving and once for not wearing a seat belt.

lolzzz no wonder u go bank currupt after paying 1500 for a gift to ur gf, rest of ur income goes paying fine ..winkzzz

3:10 PM, September 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home