Friday, July 29, 2005

Monsoon, Mumbai & Me and My Journey Back Home

Here I continue my second part of story…

Wednesday – 27th July 2005

@ My friend’s home:
In the morning we could see some movement on the highway, vehicle were plying and water clogging was also cleared. This was the scene at Goregaon – Western Express Highway. GSG left for his home early and after some time RD and I came to office.

While walking towards office we couldn’t believe that it was the same road, which was flooded with water. Still a lot of vehicles were parked on the road while, a lot of them were struck in gutters or big pot holes, people were in search for food and milk, a lot of compound walls had collapsed, water had entered a lot of shops and houses. A few busses were running over crowded, no auto rickshaw or taxi… we walked the whole way to office.

@ Office
Hardly anyone was there, not even power, electricity, Internet or telephone. Mobile network continued to be F**K*D

After some discussions in office and considering reconsidering whether I should carry my laptop back home, I left office at around 11AM along with my laptop. (I was approx 24 Kms away from home) The highway was quite clear but hardly any buses, no rickshaw or taxi were ready to go to Bandra or Sion (These are half way stop towards my home)

@ Matador
Finally a Matador (Mini truck) stopped and a lot of people got into that. I thought the journey has well begun. It reaches one of the fly over and the traffic was screwed up, it took a U turn to the road below the fly over… after travelling some distance even that was f**k*d … another route was taken which after some distance was again F…. then another… then another and another… either due to traffic or water clogging… after this lengthy journey we reached Santacruz East. (Approx 16 Kms away from home) However it was not possible for the vehicle to go ahead. So we came down… walked in knee depth water and reached the highway.

@ Double-Decker
A Double-Decker bus was moving towards Kurla (This place is approx 6-7Kms away from home) and I boarded the bus. It started slowly and in no time water entered into the bus, we all moved to the upper deck, but the scene around was horrible and scary. Water had actually covered the entire cars, which were parked there, it was till neck level, One Maruti Esteem was actually floating, localites were there holding ropes for help… but in no case it was possible for the bus to move ahead, it took a reverse and I thought of getting out but were to go, so I just kept my fingers crossed and stayed in the bus along with other passengers. It took a different route… it was slightly better, the water was marginally below chest level. On my way I could see shops, houses, roads completely filled with water… and one can just see only water around…I wasn’t sure whether I was in a bus or a ship… it was dead scary… thanks to the driver’s amazing driving… but he couldn’t help us reach the destination and left us mid way coz the road ahead was again jammed.

I consulted bus drivers and police as to which road is better, but their guess was as good as mine… they told all the roads are filled with water, you will have to walk down… I was in a no man’s land and left with no options than to walk… and may be that was a blessing in disguise… coz life main problem tab hoti hain jab options hote hain ;-)… when there are no options we exactly know what we have to do… no confusion u see.

# Walking all the way…
So the march started… the localites had tied ropes and were standing there and instructing all the commuters… what a spirit that was… water was above thigh level and hundreds of people were walking… I was holding my laptop on my shoulder to avoid it from water… bare foot again… must have walked around 1 KM like that… then another 2 Kms on road without water to reach Kurla Station.

I had to cross from west to east so I took the flyover and the scene I saw was horrible. Water was upto platform level, no one can even guess there are railway tracks over there… it was looking like a sea… just water and water every where…

# Kept Walking…
Water level at the Eastern side was the same… again consulted the police and some localites… again the same advice just keep walking calmly …
There were hundreds of people walking… exchanging smiles… keeping the momentum going…
I must have walked for approx 2-3 Kms at knee to thigh-level water to reach the highway… all shops around were closed and filled with water… The scene on the highway was no better… it was clogged by the vehicles…

# Localites extending the helping hand…
Certain things differentiate Mumbai from all other cities and one of them is the attitude of people… I was simply amazed to see their enthusiasm… there were people on roads distributing free Kheechdi, free vada pav, free bananas to all the commuters, they were holding ropes… guiding people… managing traffic to their best… when you see such things your belief on mankind just rises…

One of those angels gave me 2 bananas… told me please take it… its free…
In the morning, I just had a cup of tea and some biscuits (that was around 8AM)… and it was 3:30PM…

# And Walking….
I kept moving as I still had a very long way to go… actually the route, which took me to the highway was a longer route… but I guess that was the only possible route… my shoulders and hand were paining… Stomach said pls take care of me too… Legs were shouting for help… Due to the wound in my leg I was not wearing shoes and the Chappal I was wearing had also given up…

@ Home…
After another walk of around 3 kms I could find a rickshaw, which dropped me near my home. I reached home at 4:30 PM…my Sis reached couple of mins before me… walking almost the same distance as mine but on a different route… on Tuesday night she stayed at her office only… fortunately she had her friend’s company.

Our parents were so content and happy to see us at home. All the efforts and pains were worth it.

I’m sure lakhs of people must have travelled like this… I was just one of them.

Adversity either weakens you or strengths you, this incidence has lifted my self-confidence like anything… travelling 9-10Kms, of which 4-5 in water, bare foot, having a recovering wound on left foot… gosh… its all a mind game…physical attributes doesn’t matter that match.

I’m planning to buy Nokia 3230 (with camera and video recording)… I’m regretting that I didn’t bought it last weekend… I could have taken some of the most memorable snaps…

Now I’m happily lying on my bed and relaxing… but there are so many still struggling to get their routine back to normal…Today I got a chance to look into so many lives so closely… it makes me realise that I shouldn’t actually worry for petty things coz HE has blessed me with a lot I can be proud off.

Long live Mumbai and Mumbaities… your attitude just rocks…out of the world, unfortunately in this country unity only comes during adversity…else real democracy will rule :-)

18 Comments:

Blogger Keshi said...

Goshhh Puneet ur journey back home sounds terrifying n in a way really enlightening. I have never faced such a situation in my life yet but I can see how u must have grown from experiencing this...how u say that ~~when there are no options we exactly know what we have to do~~ and ~~when you see such things your belief on mankind just rises~~ were enough to realise how rewarding this journey was to u...I wish I was part of something like this...it's great for the soul.

However I'm glad that ur doing fine n that ur parents were relieved to see u safe. Take care n stay positive.
Hugggz!
Keshi.

11:02 PM, July 29, 2005  
Blogger Dawn said...

it sounds very horrific..!!!!! The one that begins well ..ends well..!

be thankful to god!!

Good luck!

cheers!

11:13 AM, July 30, 2005  
Blogger Manish Kumar said...

Hats off to all Mumbaites who really gave the confidence & necessary help to stranded persons here & there that they r not alone in their suffering! Grt spirit

11:22 AM, July 30, 2005  
Blogger Urvashi said...

We Bombayites definitely have that something extra! ;) It has been a scary past couple of days, but we all pulled through! I'm just thankful that all my friends and family are safe; and without some of those good samaritans, one of them would have been seriously ill, or maybe even dead by now! A big thank you needs to go out to all the good samaritans out there.

11:44 AM, July 30, 2005  
Blogger PuNeEt said...

@ Keshi...
Thanks so much dear...
This journey has definitely made a lot of difference in my life...

In a way good that u were not a part of it, i dont want any one to be part of such things...

Infact after reaching home, we tried our best to reach all our friends and to know that all are fine gave us such a big relief... gosh!!!

Take care
Smilz



@ Dawn...
Alwayz thankful to god... at times i say to friends y to worry so much HE is there to take care of me... he indeed is there to take care of me :-))

Thanks a lot dear :-)>
Cheers


@ Manish....
Ya the local people have really helped a lot to ease the situation.
Police, muncipal authorities, corporators, ministers are all bloody F####RS

Thanks so much buddy...
Tk care... Cheers

11:56 AM, July 30, 2005  
Blogger PuNeEt said...

@ Phoenix rises...
I agree with you completely...
These are the people who are worst hit by rains and they just go take that extra step to help out others...
I can never forget that smile, when I asked abt hw long and hw deep... he said...
"Zada nahin hain bus thoda hi hain... sirf thigh level tak paani hain"
God bless them all...

Happy to know that u, ur family and friends are all fine :-)
Take care

12:04 PM, July 30, 2005  
Blogger dimwitnot said...

Dear Puneet,

Read your detailed ordeal about the monsoon rains. It was a very scary experience you and countless mumbaities had to deal with.

Such incidents strike a cord when events like this happen in our homeland. Brings lot of people closer to one and other and helps us to value life a tad bit more.

Glad to know that you survived it.

Also, you have a nice blog.

Take care.

Regards,

ITCC

2:18 PM, July 30, 2005  
Blogger Keshi said...

Puneet I know how knowing that all ur friends r ok wud have been such a great relief to ya...it's a blessing u should count.

'cos during 9/11 tragedy, one of my friends were calling so many of her NY friends to make sure they were ok...she was so relieved that all were ok...but one friend she could not track at all...that friend who was 7months pregnant was on board AA flight 11, with her husband on their way to a friend's wedding...yep there's no need for me to tell what happened to her n her husband. That's how fragile life is...I'm glad u and all ur friends r ok.

~~Smilezzz
Keshi.

6:41 PM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger PuNeEt said...

@ itcommittee&community ...
Welcome to my Blog...
Thanks so much for those kind words...

Happy to know u liked the blog..
keep coming
Take care


@ Keshi...
hi dear... ya i know it's a blessing :-)

9/11 was horrible... these kind of incidents increases belief in destiny and luck...

Thanks so much for your concern...
Huggzz... tk cr

9:26 PM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger PuNeEt said...

@ Keshi...
Replied to ur commment below, on fight with me ;-)

9:32 PM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger che sara sara said...

really scary...
i am calling some of my friends there and asking their condition...its but real scary

9:51 PM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger PuNeEt said...

hi Sophia...
Ya its really scary...
Hope all is fine with ur friends
tk care
cheers

9:59 PM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger Keshi said...

>these kind of incidents increases >belief in destiny and luck
definitely Puneet!

thanks n u tc more than me ok - cos ur over there so be alert n most of all look after urself.

I left a reply for u too on the fighting episodes :)

Hugggggggz!
Keshi.

11:05 PM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger PuNeEt said...

thanks soooooooooo much Keshi...
I'm at home only and taking due care...

Huggz and smilz

7:07 AM, August 01, 2005  
Blogger PuNeEt said...

Thanx so much dude...
Wanted to keep it in my records ;-)

cheers

1:41 PM, August 03, 2005  
Blogger PuNeEt said...

Welcome to My Blog Divya...
Thanks for dropping by...
Ya Mumbaities rock... ne time

Cheers
Keep coming :-))

10:29 AM, August 17, 2005  
Blogger strawy said...

thnx god thats over now , mu p00 is safe , hugss p0000


st000nie

2:59 AM, September 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for information on maine lemon law, trying to find information in reguards to any new lemon laws and

read your site. Although not exactly what I needed it caught my attention. Many people have problems and any

new maine lemon law laws may not help them the way they expect. Anyway thanks for the read.

10:49 PM, January 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home